Tuesday, April 06, 2004

AN ALL IP WORLD

A very interesting article that discusses the current state of broadband in the United States.

I think its pretty amazing to see a 'technologically advanced' super power like US lag countries like Japan, Korea and even China in broadband availability. Apart from all the complaints in the article, I myself experienced this. Whenever I travel to China, no matter which hotel I stayed in (3, 4 & 5 Star), they all hand in-room Broadband connections ready to be used (Speeds ranging from 1 Mbps to 10 Mbps). I have not found any hotel in the US where they have a broadband connection!

Well, I think what's happening is a paradigm shift in the way the technological advances are handled. I think the main reason why broadband has not been widely available is because of lack of competition, bureaucracy (god, I cant believe i am saying this) & companies always looking for profits.

Yahoo! BB is the perfect example of how a company should invest in a technology with no immediate profit (infact huge losses) but long term benifits. They literally sold their Yahoo! BB modems on the streets for free. They offered 48 Mbps "Broad"band service for $30 some dollars. Free Yahoo BB VoIP service. They lost huge money initially but now they are reaping lotta subscribers and are adding new services (Video, Triple-play etc) over the existing network. That's called strategy!!

When will the US see such broadband speeds & services?

|

No comments:

Post a Comment