Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Roger Federer Show

This weekend is shaping up to be a great one for sports fans. Wimbledon Finals, World Cup Finals on the same day. Couldn't ask for any more fun, can you?

Speaking of Wimbledon, how about that Roger Federer, huh? The guy is just amazing. You should see him play. He makes it look so easy. He's just 24 years old and has already won 7 Grand Slam titles and 38 career titles. He has won the Wimbledon the last three times and is in the finals this weekend. He has been World No. 1 for the last 107 weeks, which is the fourth longest streak. I think he's probably the best tennis player I have ever watched play and I have watched tennis ever since I was a kid (from 1990 onwards).

Just when you thought Federer would run through the Wimbledon this year, guess who comes along - Rafael Nadal, the teenage prodigy from Spain (although he's no longer a teenager - he just turned 20). Nadal has got something of a magic spell on Federer. He has the upper hand of their head-to-head matchups (6-1) and all of these meetings have been in finals. But all of these have been on hard courts in which Nadal is the King. But Wimbledon is a much slower grass court, where Federer rules. It's going to be an interesting match, definitely. Nadal is a leftie and would be serving to Federer's backhand which is his weaker side. But Federer's got that magical passing backhand cross-court shot.

No surprise as to who I'd be rooting for. Don't miss The Roger Federer Show - my guess is that he beats Nadal in three straight sets!

Update:

I was almost right. Federer beat Nadal in 4 sets although the match actually began in the second set. I guess this sets up well for the upcoming US Open which I am hoping to see in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment